Are you ready for the last of my fall shopping guides? Today is a big one. All my favorite tops, tees, sweaters, and jackets! (And if you missed them, you can check out my pants + denim guide, dresses edit, + accessories guide.) As with all of these guides I did my best to accommodate a range of price points. Splurges, saves, and everything in between. The pants/jeans are really dictating the tops I buy. In the past I’ve favored longer tops and tunics to pair with my skinny jeans. Now, it’s all about boxier tees and tops (these new silhouettes are so high-waisted) and if I am wearing my skinny jeans, I’m wearing something oversized!
Fall Tops, Sweaters, + Jackets
Tops + Tees
I am all for classics here! Simple easy tees that I can tuck into fall’s higher rise pants, boxy button downs (Everlane is doing such a good job – this and this are both a MUST in my book), and then of course a few feminine blouses because I will always love pretty prints, and a ruffle or two. Those get tucked into my mom jeans. And then something big and oversized to wear with skinny jeans. (This Frankie Shop blouse is pretty perfect!)
I also need to shout out this COS tee, discovered by Becky Malinsky’s wonderfully helpful shopping newsletter. I now own this in 3 colors (pink/white stripes, white, navy) and love it so much. The slightly cropped length and the heavier fabric make it feel really special.
- Heavyweight TeeThis is the best tee. The heavier fabric gives it a nice bit of structure. I started w/stripes and now also bought white and navy.Shop
- Boxy ShirtEverlane has such great tops right now. I love the cut of this one, and those oversized pockets!Shop
- Blouse/Vest ComboVeronica Beard taking the work out of layering. Love the vest over button down!Shop
- Flutter BlouseOnly $30A great blouse at a great price. This would look great with all of fall’s more “fun” denim shapes.Shop
- Lace BlouseSo pretty and feminine. Perfect with mom jeans and a fun heel. Size down!Shop
- Sweater ShirtThis is one of my favorite Faherty finds. It’s the absolute coziest, softest.. just LOVE! You won’t want to take it off.Shop
- Breton TeeThe perfect classic Breton. La Ligne can do no wrong in my book. This is classic, chic, and utterly timeless.Shop
- Printed BlouseI have and absolutely adore this. The print is perfection and the fit is great. As with most Mille pieces, size down!Shop
- Stripe TeeOversized and bold, I love the width of the stripes! This would be perfect if you are wearing skinny jeans – great proportions.Shop
- Oversized TopFun and chic. I’d style with a cigarette pant or use this to update my skinny jeans.Shop
- Boxy Silk TeeThere are so many Everlane tops in this roundup but I can’t help myself. Their blouses and shirts are pretty epic.Shop
- Brown BlouseI love the sleeves on this. This is the perfect top to wear with wide leg jeans as it is not too billowy and shows your waist. But the sleeves add interest!Shop
- Gingham BlouseHow great is this print!? I love the raspberry color, it is feminine and fun without being saccharine.Shop
- BlouseSo pretty and feminine! Tuck this into your mom jeans and style with a platform sandal for a fun night out.Shop
- Boxy Cotton OxfordThe GREATESTYou need this shirt. It is just the best. I have the light blue and am going to grab the white one too. The boxy fit, the big pockets.. just love!Shop
- Stripe Silk BlouseSilky and chic, the fit on this one is perfection.Shop
- Silk “PJ” TopThis is just so fun. Pair it with denim OR go all out and style it with the matching pants!Shop
- Moss Green TopI love everything about this top. The more cropped silhouette, the buttons, the color! It would be perfect with ivory jeans or trousers.Shop
Next up, sweaters! Lots of stripes. This Gap sweater is so good. Totême vibes for under $100. Lots of cardigans too. An aside about the cardigans (the fitted ones, not the oversized ones) as this has been popping up in the DMs. I do not wear a camisole under my cardigans – I personally find that looks really dated. The best way to wear a fitted cardigan is to button them up and wear as a shirt OR wear a crew neck t-shirt underneath for a more intentionally layered look! I’m a big fan of how Gap’s shrunken t-shirts look under a cardigan.
Another look I really like is high waisted denim + a fitted, slightly cropped tee + a long cozy sweater (like the Zara one) worn open.
- Stripe PoloHow great is this little stripe polo! It’s very on trend but also a little retro/preppy.Shop
- Oversized TurtleneckThe Gap can do no wrong. I bought this sweater (runs true to size and just love it so much). Totême vibes at a very very good price.Shop
- Stripe PoloAnother great polo! This one is so soft and cozy. Love it with wide leg jeans.Shop
- Oversized CardiganOnly $36!I cannot get over this cardigan! I love the oversized shape and the chevron pattern. And truly, what a steal!Shop
- Alpaca CardiganI lovvvve alpaca and this oversized sweater from Everlane is amazing. I’d wear it over a camisole or body suit and wide leg jeans.Shop
- Zara CardiganSelling out fast!This cozy Zara cardigan feels like Angora for just $50. I love it so much. I got a medium but could have done with a small. I like the oversized fit.Shop
- Cropped CardiganThe best with more high-rise denim! I bought this in two colors; tan and black!Shop
- Cotton Linen Cocoon SweaterHow did I ever live without Jenni Kayne!? This was my favorite sweater this summer. It’s heavy and cozy and just so nice. The quality is fantastic.Shop
- Cashmere SweaterI love this pretty little leopard sweater. It’s a classic and perfect with any of fall’s new trousers or jeans.Shop
- Puff Sleeve CardiganThe Gap!This is just the cutest. I love the puff sleeves. Runs TTS. So impressed with The Gap this season!Shop
- Tunic SweaterOnly $85So soft and cozy and a really great price! Pair it with cigarette pants, tuck it into denim, or wear it loose with trousers!Shop
- Cotton SweaterJust love the proportions of this sweater. It’s on trend but also timeless?Shop
- Cable Knit SweaterUnder $100Perfectly preppy! I’d style this with a slip skirt or tucked into a fun pair of jeans.Shop
- Alpaca Cocoon SweaterAnother amazing Jenni Kayne find. I sized down in this. It’s exceptionally soft and comfortable.Shop
- Fuzzy SweaterI bought this last year in the lighter shade and am obsessed. It’s so fuzzy and soft, I feel a little bit like Tyrion when I wear it.Shop
I just love a good blazer. Back in New York one of my favorite little “uniforms” was a Veronica Beard blazer, a fun top, skinny jeans, and stilettos. I would update the look now swapping the top for a casual tee and the skinny jeans for a pair of barrel jeans but the vibe remains the same. Here in Charleston, blazers are enough to wear on most nights, even in December. So I don’t mind investing as I get a lot of wear out of them.
PS – if you are looking for a great affordable fall blazer, check out Old Navy! I was really impressed by both this and this.
- Drape BlazerEasy and effortless, love how lightweight it is!Shop
- Double Breasted Blazergreat quality + priceThis is the Banana Republic lookalike to the Veronica Beard blazer. If you touched them both you’d know the difference but in a photo? They look pretty identical.Shop
- Soft Brushed BlazerUnder $100Can you even get over this Old Navy blazer? So freaking chic and an amazing price. I’m impressed.Shop
- Sandro Jacketfun & preppy!I am more than a little bit obsessed with this jacket. The lighter blue piping and the gold buttons add such a wonderful preppy touch!Shop
- Ralph Lauren BlazerI bought this a few years ago and love it. In New York it was a great layering in piece and in Charleston it’s basically a coat!Shop
- Long Navy BlazerI chose this one as it reminds me a LOT of my Ralph Lauren blazer at a very nice price!Shop
- Favorite SplurgeWorth every pennyYou know how much I love my Veronica Beard jackets. This one is a favorite. Classic navy with gold buttons. It gives you such a nice shape.Shop
- Tweed BlazerJ.Crew is just doing such a phenomenal job this year. I love the brown tweed, the gold buttons… it’s just perfectly chic.Shop
- Double Breasted BlazerUnder $100Easy and chic.. always in style.Shop
Beautiful edit. Would you wear a blazer under an overcoat if it gets really cold, or just depend on the blazer as the outerwear? Is that even doable? I love the look of a black blazer to wear to holiday functions, but don’t know what’s appropriate for cold, New York weather. I’m sure I could go solo blazer in the south.
Hi Mary! Yes! When I lived in New York I did that all the time (I have a big camel overcoat that works, and a teddy coat is great too as it’s less structured so more comfortable with a blazer!) I do that up north and then just a blazer or light jacket down here 🙂
Grace, I just wanted to thank you. This series is so nicely curated and still feels entirely original to you. Thank you for digging and sharing your finds and for also providing your styling tips! This is where I struggle most and your tips here are invaluable.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I spent a lot of time on these so truly appreciate the kind words 🙂 have a lovely weekend!