Happy New Year, friends!
Today is the day! We are kicking off my Winter Wellness Challenge! You’ll see I’ve built a new little page which highlights all of my favorite fitness/wellness finds, and where you’ll be able to keep track of the weekly challenges + guest posts. The challenge is going to run today through the end of March. Three months of focusing on putting ourselves first.
How it will work/what to expect on the blog:
- Every Sunday morning (Monday this week), I am going to post a new challenge for us to incorporate into our week.
- Every Friday morning, I am going to post a check-in. I will report back on my own personal progress – the workouts I tried that week and how I did with the individual challenges. And then, in the comments section, I want YOU to weigh in on how you did. As a fun reward, I will pick the five most inspiring/entertaining/motivating comments from the week and send those 5 readers a little treat that I buy with my own money.
- The rest of the time, usual blog content will resume but in between, the challenge + check-in, I will have fun and inspiring afternoon guest posts for you from experts, fellow bloggers, and fit friends. The first one goes up this afternoon at 2pm EST so be sure to check back!
- Over on Instagram, share your progress (and how you’re participating in the challenge). Use #StripeWWC, and tag me in your photos and stories. I will repost my favorites to my story (and if you’re lucky maybe I’ll send you a little something in the mail!)
- Lots and lots of fun surprises! I mean…. all of this hard work should definitely not go rewarded. Besides the Friday treats that I’m sending out on my own, I have started reaching out to a few of my favorite brand partners to do giveaways here + on Instagram.
What this challenge is about:
+ Balance. I am not going to go all crazy on you here. If you love coffee, have it! If your treat at the end of the day is red wine, do that! This is about small changes and having a happier, healthier three months.
+ Being your best possible self. Each week’s challenges will incorporate both mind and body – we will work together to transform ourselves on the inside and also outside.
What this challenge is not about:
+ A complete overhaul / being perfect. I believe that the best changes are the little ones. By doing little things every week (and building upon them), you can create real change.
+ Me, preaching at you. I am NOT an expert, in fitness, or anything really. I am actually quite out of shape and spent most of December s-t-r-e-s-s-e-d. What brought about this challenge was when I vented my frustrations with myself on Instagram and you guys chimed in to say you were feeling the same. We’re in it together and the Friday posts are meant to keep us all on track and accountable.
Also! Please, please, feel free to use the Community Page to coordinate fitness meet-ups and/or find a workout buddy!
Without further adieu….
This Week’s Challenges:
- Get to the gym (or outside!) at least 3x between now (Monday) and Friday’s check-in!
- Buy an alarm clock for your bedroom and commit to sleeping with your phone in the other room.
- Stock your fridge with healthy groceries and commit to eating a healthy, protein-packed breakfast every morning this week. This sounds stupid, but over the holidays I would go straight to my desk and skip breakfast. My breakfast this week is Greek yogurt, fresh raspberries, and a little drizzle of honey.
- Try one thing that is brand new to you. Examples of this could be – visiting a salt cave, doing an infrared sauna treatment, or trying a workout class you’ve never done before like CORE or Orange Theory.
* Totally optional but.. take a before picture. This is totally optional as this challenge is not totally about weight loss (though I am hoping to tone up!!) Put on a sports bra and short shorts and snap yourself from the front and sides. I know, it sucks, especially when you aren’t feeling great but it will only motivate you along the way. My old trainer made me do this and I hated her for it in the beginning but the progress pics were what ultimately motivated me and kept me going. Throughout the 3 months, I will remind you when it’s time to take a progress pic.
And this is also totally optional but I wanted to share that I am doing a dry January this year. It’s my first one and I’m really looking forward to it as I overdid it with the wine and eggnog over the holidays. My body (my liver!) just needs a little reset! Wine has always been my “treat” so we will see how this goes!
photography by Trent Bailey.
I’m so excited for this wellness challenge. I’ll definitely be taking in on – December was full of binging which was not good for my body! 🙂
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
Yay!!! Same. Happy New Year my dear!
Love this Grace! Looking forward to the series. Thanks for all the great tips! Going to make a yummy healthy breakfast right now xo elle
Thanks Elle!! Happy New Year!
I love this, especially the focus on balance, doing what’s right for you, and not on losing X pounds. I’m doing a challenge with one of my main gyms (Tone House in NoMad and UES) that is personalized, so I’ll go 3 times a week (up from 2). Their classes are really fun and definitely push you.
Love it!!! Good luck, lady!
I love this! I also want to replace my phone alarm with a physical alarm clock, I have one from Braun on Amazon in my cart currently but I would love to know if you’ve found a cuter one! 😉
I linked to a really cute one on the main wellness page!
So fun I’m in. Is there an official sign up
Nope! Just weekly comments on the Friday posts!!!
Love what you’re doing, Grace! Definitely following the challenge and hoping to make little lifestyle changes because of it!
The Champagne Edit
Thanks Dana! I hope you will do it! Happy New Year!!!
Excited about this challenge! Really going to make an effort to participate.
Also, definitely on board with the alarm clock instead of the phone! Need some cute suggestions. My husband’s alarm clock is cramping my style.
Yay! I hope you will give it a try. It’s not about being perfect, it’s just about doing small things!!!
This is pretty awesome! I’m in. I think the hardest part for this week (for me) will be the try something new. Definitely gotta think about it.
There’s a fun conversation going on in the community group – that may get you inspired!!!!
Yay!! I love this!! Good for you!! I have three Pure Barre classes scheduled for this week, so I will update soon! Really doubly good for you for a sober January! I tried to fake a sober September when I was really early in pregnancy to try to conceal that I was pregnant– haha! It didn’t work! My family was onto me 🙂 but a reset will make you feel so good! Plus, even just because I am pregnant and not drinking, we are saving so much money! But, that will all be used for our future baby, haha!! Can’t wait to follow along in your journey! You go, girl!
Yay – good for you!!!!
That is so hilarious (and a great cover for being pregnant) !!!
Good luck with everything, Mary! x
Love this, Grace! I’m also doing Dry January – I did it for the first time last year, and I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot of unexpected things through the process and just felt healthier and more productive in general!
On the fitness note, I signed up for my fourth half-marathon that’s in March – The timing worked perfectly as this past weekend was the first week of training. I’m excited to kick off the new year with new goals and new focus. Looking forward to following along with the challenges!
Ashlee | http://www.cobaltchronicles.com
I’m really excited for it – I’ve taken weeks off of drinking before but never a whole month. Really looking forward to feeling healthier and better!
That’s so amazing you signed up for your first half… good luck with training!
SUCH a great idea, Grace! Love this!
Thank you so much, Jenn!
I’m excited for this! And my husband and I are ALSO doing dry January. We had one last mimosa to finish off last night’s bubbly and now we’re off! It’s always fun and interesting to figure out what things can take the place of that wine at the end of a long day. Thanks for doing all of this!
Love that. Good luck, so excited to hear everyone’s stories!
Just stuck my phone in the bathroom for the night, wearing workout clothes to get up for my usual 6:00 a.m. Orangetheory class, plan on having eggs for breakfast, and looking into something new to try! Super excited about the challenge, Grace!
Good work!!!! I’m so excited, too!
I love this, and the challenges this week are small, but, can be super meaningful. Thanks for doing this!
You are so welcome – I’m so excited about this!
I’m doing a dry January (and attempting a Whole30 as well)! I’m nervous but like you said, excited for the reset. Happy New Year!
Yay!!! Happy New Year!
All in, you mirror a lot of my own goals.
Been to the gym yesterday and today and plan on Th,Fr & Sat too .
Taking a new spin class too which starts 1/8 so will bump up activity and change things up.
Very interested in your alcohol free January results, this was a challenge I mostly failed last month due to the holidays.
Amazing job!!! Cheers to a fitness fueled 2018!
Do you have any suggestions for cute alarm clocks? I do not want the typical digital alarm clock. I was hoping for something cute that does light up if I roll over and need to know what time it is.
I need to do a bit more investigating! I recommended this one on the main page but haven’t found any that light up yet! http://shopstyle.it/l/sFyc
You are one step ahead of me. Love the old school look of the one you linked to.
Oh good! xx
I cannot wait to get this started! This is so fun! 🙂
Yay – so glad you are excited about it!!!
Yay! I love the idea of starting my year with a healthy focus. Thanks for helping me get started!
You are so welcome! Excited to do this together!!!
LOVE this. I’ve been mentally gearing up to get myself back into the mode after a not so stellar 2017 on the health front. These mini challenges are so great to ease myself into a healthier year. Can’t wait to follow along!
Yay -we can do it together! Happy New Year, Nicole!
Was just looking for a non-ugly alarm clock and found this one on amazon! Great price and looks so nice and minimal. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Minimalist-Temperature-Travel-Bedroom-White/dp/B075V48V19/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1514927360&sr=8-6&keywords=alarm+clock+digital
Oh I LOVE that – and what a great price!
I ordered this one: http://amzn.to/2EDgAiG
I love a dry January! I did this last year and it actually is awesome well after the first 3-4 days! By the end of the month I found I was fine and really ok without wine during the week,. Good luck I plan on going you this month as well!
Thanks Colleen! It’s not so bad so far but we’ll see how it goes. I’m sure I’m going to miss a glass of red tomorrow evening as I wind down the week!
I’m a little late to this week’s challenge, but that won’t stop me! Buying a new alarm clock today!! I am so picky though so this might take some serious time out of my work day. Ooops, sorry boss. I love that you posted this wellness challenge. It helps to have a group of people to join you to keep you accountable. Looking forward to all of the wellness challenges yet to come. Thank you for sharing!!
Okay so I’m in, a little late, due to stomach virus, uti and dehydration! Better and ready now though!