The holiday season is almost here! I am so excited for all of the parties and gatherings… and with that, the best part: figuring out what to wear. Planning your outfits for different parties can feel overwhelming and even take away from the fun of the season, so today I wanted to share a big roundup of outfits for all kinds of holiday parties. And in case you missed it, on Tuesday I shared my big accessories guide.
What To Wear To All Your Holiday Parties!
Casual Holiday Party Outfits
For a more casual holiday party, I would go with a fun top, jeans (or slim fitting black pants), and a great pair of heels. I also think that this evening jacket is so elegant and chic.
Can you wear jeans to a holiday party?
YES! You absolutely can wear jeans to a holiday party, though I think it of course depends on the occasion. I would do a straight cut pair of denim with any of the tops below (or the velvet blazer that I showed under the office party outfit ideas) Just add a great pair of heels (lots of ideas in this post!)
- Puff Sleeve TopSuch a fun way to wear red! Pair with simple denim and a great pair of nude pumps for a look that is classic but festive.Shop
- Tinsel CardiganYou have to see this in person to believe it: it is SO sparkly!!!!Shop
- Mixed Media TopThis sweater/blouse hybrid is stunning and… you won’t be cold!Shop
- Evening JacketHow chic is this!? I love it with black pants or over a very short dress.Shop
- Cigarette PantsThese are just the best. One of my favorite basics purchases of the year!Shop
- 3D Lace TopThis is such a great top! I’d pair it with simple black pants or (gasp) dark skinny jeans and a nude pump.Shop
- Gold Ulla TopThis was a splurge but is such a showstopper piece.Shop
- Embroidered KimonoThis is stunning – it looks vintage! I’d wear it with the black cigarette pants or over a little mini dress.Shop
- Black Puff Sleeve Top$55I have and love this and it is such a great price. Wear it with all black, or a fun pair of pants!Shop
Office Holiday Party Outfits
For an office party, I’d keep things really streamlined and simple. A shift dress in black (or red like this one, if you’re feeling festive). Tailored pants, a camisole, and a fun cardigan. I love the idea of doing a velvet suit too. Stick to a deeper hue to keep things professional, how dreamy is this Veronica Beard blazer and trouser set? It’s a splurge so I linked to a great J.Crew option too!
- Asymmetrical dressLooks designer!This Zara dress is so chic – looks designer! I love the sheer pleated bottom.Shop
- Velvet BlazerOh my god this velvet suit is heaven. Such a splurge but so good!Shop
- Velvet PantsI love this little set so much and you could totally break it up into separates for multiple different looks.Shop
- Surplice BodysuitThis bodysuit is gorgeous. Would be great with a pair of tailored black trousers or under a suit.Shop
- Shift DressThe sleeve detail makes it just festive enough!Shop
- Velvet BlazerA more affordable velvet suit! I love this one too.Shop
- Velvet PantsSimple and elegant, velvet is timeless during the holidays.Shop
- Silky BlouseTons of great colors!This is beautiful and comes in so many pretty colors.Shop
- Jacquard DressOnly $70!You have to see this on to believe how good it is – the cut is perfect!Shop
Creative Holiday Party Outfits
I love the idea of having a little bit of fun here. A feathered heel, a sequin jogger… now is the time to break out a statement piece (or two!). I cannot get over this sequin fringe skirt… what a brilliant idea. With the sequin pants and skirts I love the idea of pairing them with a tonal sweater or top in a fuzzy material. Something like this fuzzy sweater from Toteme (bought this last year and it’s still a fav… LOVE!). Speaking of fuzzy: how fun are these sandals?! I love them and now they come in so many good colors (partial to the chartreuse!)
- Tulle Sleeve TankHow fantastic is that shoulder detail!?Shop
- Wide Leg Sequin PantsThese pants are just amazing, I love them so much.Shop
- Fringe Sequin SkirtWhat a statement – sequins AND fringe!? I’m in love!Shop
- Feather Sandals$150These are amazing and now they come in so many fantastic colors!! I am a little bit obsessed with the chartreuse.Shop
- Sequin JoggersI love these. They’d be really fun with a simple white tee and a great pair of earrigngs.Shop
- Sequin Midi SkirtGreat priceThis skirt is gorgeous. I would pair it with a brown tee or sweater for a monochromatic but fancy look.Shop
Cocktail Party Outfits
You know I LOVE a cocktail dress! There are so many wonderful options out there right now. Velvet dresses are especially great this time of year. They feel a little extra special and festive.. and, they’re warm, to boot. If I need to stay warm, velvet is the answer. I especially love this black velvet dress!
- Puff Sleeve Mini$129How fun is this one!? I love the print, the cut, the sleeves, the velvet bow!Shop
- Criss Cross DressI have and love this (note: it runs small, I sized up to a large) and it is so fun. The neckline is so similar to that Proenza one from the summer.Shop
- Gold DressOnly $55I love this dress from Target’s collab with Kika Vargas and was thrilled to see that they still have it in several sizes!Shop
- Velvet Tunic DressThis is easy and so comfortable. I love the detail at the wrist!Shop
- Red DressWowowwowow this Reformation dress is just everything. I saw it on my friend Mary and just love it. The perfect fit, cut, everything.Shop
- Slip DressA silky piece that you can easily layer under a blazer or cardigan.Shop
- Mini DressThe texture of this is so fantastic! It could potentially feel a little stuffy but the mini length keeps things fresh and fun.Shop
- Sequin DressThis is like a bathrobe… but with sequins. I love it.Shop
- Sequin Mini$129This is so fun. Easy, comfy, a great price. Feels like a no brainer to me!Shop
When you’re the one hostessing
When you’re the one planning the party, you get to decide on the dress code! I personally want to be as comfortable as possible here, and love the idea of a dramatic kaftan. This solid black kaftan is (for me) a wardrobe staple. I’ve been buying a lot more black dresses this year and this is a classic. It’s easy and elegant and you can dress it up or down! On the splurgier side, I love everything Taller Marmo is doing. The fringe! The feathers! It’s beyond. I own this yellow fringe dress from them and while I do feel a bit like big bird (hey, it’s not for everyone!), it is so much fun to wear.
Also on the kaftan front, Teggy French has a little shop of kaftans – I haven’t personally bought one (yet) but they look like the perfect hostess gown. My personal fav from her shop is the gold shimmer fabric. And on the very affordable front, I think this Amazon kaftan could be great. It’s basically a canvas for amazing accessories. Just be sure to wear a slip (I have and love this one) as the fabric is probably not the greatest quality.
- Silky Black KaftanI absolutely love this kaftan. I had been looking for a solid black kaftan in silk and this is perfect. I wear a small in this.Shop
- Shiny DressThis is one of my favorite dress silhouettes. Like a kaftan but with a waist. I love that they updated it in this shiny fabric!Shop
- KaftanOnly $28!This kaftan is wildly affordable and comes in so many colors. A few tips: wear a slip, give it a REALLY good steam, and pair with a gold platform heel.Shop
Formal Holiday Party Outfits
I live for a formal holiday party and sadly I don’t think I have any coming up this year! Here are a few dresses I would be snapping up if I had a fancier party to attend.
- Red GownThis gown from Mango is an absolute showstopper AND, a great price! You’ll be sure to turn heads in this.Shop
- Pink GownIn Plus Sizes tooThis gown is too much fun. The color, the fabric, the cut, the bow… I just love it!Shop
- Gold Maxi DressThis is so ethereal and pretty!Shop
- Strapless DressTimeless and elegant (Grace Kelly vibes?) and it comes in a slew of gorgeous colors!Shop
- Shimmering GownWow, this is just amazing… I love the colors! If I had a formal party right now, this is what I would wear.Shop
- Black and GoldThis is so pretty and the price is fantastic!Shop
When you want to stay warm
Here in Charleston, the velvet blazer or evening coat from above would be the perfect topper. But if I were back in New York I would probably do a simple camel coat or a teddy coat like this one, and add black tights (these are my favorite) under my dress. I really like how black tights look with platform sandals. You could have a little more fun though, below are some party perfect toppers!
- Fur BomberCute and simple and so soft. This would be so cute with pants or a mini dress/skirt.Shop
- Tinsel TopperSo it isn’t necessarily warm, but it’s SO fun! Love this little tinsel jacket.Shop
- Black OvercoatThe Collar is RemovableShop
- Chartreuse BlazerA super chic blazer in one of my most favorite colors!Shop
- Zebra CoatThis fabric is just stunning!Shop
- Teddy CoatSo cozy and snuggly!Shop
Disclosure: If you buy something through my links, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. I only feature things I truly love here. Thanks for your support.
Love this post, so many fun options! Which stickies/bra sitch would you recommend for the green criss cross dress???
I skipped a bra with this dress. A little risque but the top is pretty tight so it was fine. These things are great too: https://amzn.to/3fOXIF7
When you say you love tights with platform sandals, do you mean open or closed toe? I’m trying to figure out what works. Thanks.
Love this post. I am ready for sparkle!
Honestly, I do either! As long as the tights are suuuuuper opaque (love the Express ones) I think it works!
ALL THE “DREAMY” OUTFITS ARE NIGHTMARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the ruffles and nerve-jarring colors!!
TGFJ!!!! (Thank God for Jeans!!) I’m 72 & wear them with short boots in several colors & heel heights. My faves are red & animal print! Life is too short to wear ugly shoes!!! Summer finds me in flip-flops and sandals!
I am a diva & do not buy “matchy-matchy”. Love my dresses!! SUN DRESSES for summer!
And, my winter coat “wardrobe” will ALWAYS include fur. A long white one, a red one & a couple machine washable light jackets get me through. Western Pa. winters are changeable & I’m ready for anything!