I have always loved New Year’s Eve. It is always a bit of a balancing act. Getting excited, planning a fun and festive outfit, picking out champagne and snacks, but also not getting TOO excited (whenever I get too excited I wound up getting let down?). I find that my favorite New Year’s celebrations have been house parties. Casual and fun with my closest pals. Last year’s NYE ended up being not so great. My brother-in-law slipped and fell (in the most innocent way — slipping on one of my niece’s puzzles) and ended up in the ER. So things can only get better. This year I will be in LA with my guy. We haven’t made any special plans yet, but I’m looking forward to it. Just being together is enough for me!
Anyway: personal anecdotes aside, let’s talk about outfits! Here is a fun little round-up of what I’d wear on New Year’s Eve… depending on the situation and locale, of course! It’s the most festive night of the year… what are you planning on doing/wearing?!
What To Wear On New Years Eve: 9 New Year’s Eve Outfit Ideas
If You’re Staying Home…
I have to be honest, I kinda love the idea of staying home on New Year’s Eve. Good champagne, takeout, a cozy fire? Yes please. For a New Year’s Eve at home I would recommend fancy pajamas like these from Sleeper. I have them in pale green and just love them. I have to be honest; I’ve never actually slept in them (I feel like they’re too fancy/worry about wrecking the feathers) but they are PJ party perfection.
- Green PajamasamazingI wish these had been available when I bought mine as the color is just perfection!Shop
- Champagne FlutesYou know how much I love Fferone’s gorgeous Dearborn collection. These flutes are next on my list… they’re magnificent!Shop
- Cashmere BlanketHeavenly soft and perfect for staying in!Shop
- Fancy SlippersThese are just so special and fun. Perfect for an at home celebration!Shop
- Feather PJsThe same Sleeper pajamas but in classic black. Love these!Shop
- Lunya Eye MaskThis eye mask is amazing – I just got one and love that it is slightly weighted. So silky and luxurious.Shop
Heading to a fancy dinner
I will always love getting dressed up and going to a fancy dinner. That would probably be my ideal. Fancy dinner with my boyfriend and maybe a few other friends, home and in pajamas and ready to watch the ball drop. I love this Zimmermann wrap dress but a velvet dress could also be gorgeous.
- Sparkly HeadbandJust the most fun and such a special statement. I have the green one and love it so much!Shop
- Gold PumpsNew FavI love these so much. They’re just a little bit eighties and really quite comfortable too!Shop
- Fringe EarringsThese are one of my favorite pairs of sparkly earrings. They’re so unique!Shop
- RingSuch a pretty little accent.Shop
- Wrap DressThis is just beautiful. The perfect winter date night dress. It’s sexy but still warm.Shop
- Gucci Pursedreamy!!Oh man I really, really want this… but have entirely too many green handbags. Isn’t it just perfect?Shop
I love the idea of a snowy New Year’s Eve! Mostly for the warm boozy beverages after skiing. I would wear a thick, warm pant, a fun sweater, chic boots, and silver accessories. This ‘fit makes me crave cold weather and a big cup of mulled wine!
- Ski SweaterSo fun; reminds me of something my mom would have worn in the seventies.Shop
- Silver EarringsSimple and elegant and will look so good with either sweater.Shop
- Snow BootsLove these. I have no use for them down here in warm Charleston but I would love these for a snowy weekend.Shop
- Scuba PantsWarm, flattering, perfect!Shop
- Silver PurseI love this. It could work well with a sweater and pants or a party dress.Shop
- Tinsel TurtleneckThe perfect mix of festive and warm!Shop
Casual-ish in Denim
I also like the idea of wearing denim! A great pair of jeans plus a fun top is another winning combo. This Ulla Johnson gold top is one of my favorite special tops, and it looks great with jeans. Add some fun accessories and a sky high heel and you are ready to go!
- Gold StudsI love the shape of these. They’re dramatic but also simple?Shop
- Ankle Jeansfavs!One of my favorite pairs of jeans.Shop
- Gold TopThis top is amazing. Also, it is very structured so holds you in nicely. Perfect with anything high waisted!Shop
- Hair ClipSuch a fun little designer touch.Shop
- PlatformsI have these in black and absolutely love them. They make your legs look amazing but they’re also pretty comfortable!Shop
- Ruched ClutchI love the shape of this so much.Shop
At the beach!
I have never had a beachy New Year’s eve but would love that someday. If I were on the beach, it would be a really special kaftan, fun earrings, flat sandals, and easy accessories.
- Black Silk KaftanThis is a wardrobe staple if you ask me! The cut is really beautiful. I recommend sizing down, the small fits me perfectly.Shop
- Shell EarringsThese are just amazing. I don’t personally own but the website says they’re lightweight!Shop
- ClutchOn SaleLove the color (I can’t wear this near my face but it’s perfect as a bag!)Shop
- Gucci SlidesSimple and elegant.Shop
- Oversized SunglassesThese are the absolute perfect oversized sunglasses. I have the orange pair and want to get the black ones too!Shop
- Geometric KaftanI am a huge fan of Louisa Parris’s kaftans -the fabrics are incredible and I love the cuts! This one is beyond.Shop
Let’s review a few older New Year’s Eve Outfit Ideas just for fun!
From 2018! A Rixo sequin dress (I still have and love this and have seen them pop up on The RealReal with a vintage fur stoll, Manolo Blahnik Pumps, and Kendra Scott Earrings.
From 2017: A sequin dress. This one is from Vince Camuto. Pumps are Anna Sui x INC!
From 2016! A jumpsuit and lace-up heels; both from LOFT.
love these ideas – we just made NYE plans and am clicking on a bunch of these links. it’s so helpful when you put it together in outfit form, thank you!!
Oh I am so happy that it is helpful!!! Thanks for the input 🙂
I’m headed to the beach (local, not tropical) and it’s going to be so cold there that I might have to wear the mountain suggestions. All fun ideas. Cheers to a happy New Year!
Happy New Year! (I’ll cross my fingers it warms up for you!)
OK I’ve been wondering how everyone with these feather pj’s are laundering them??! It makes since that you say you don’t actually sleep in them. Because honestly, what would one do?
Also, you have an insane talent for finding the BEST earrings!
So the feather trim is removable and you can wash them on the gentle cycle. But yeah, too impractical for actual sleep!