With the change of seasons I have been getting several of emails about skincare routines so I thought I would make a little mini post today to share my current routine. Just keep in mind everyone’s skin types are different. I have very dry skin and am older than a lot of you so my concerns may be different than yours! I’m listing out the products I use every day and then you’ll notice there is a big “as needed” section below. Honestly, I think the best skincare advice I ever got was to listen to your skin and what it needs. Sometimes it needs a little extra exfoliation. Other times it needs a soothing moisturizer because it’s red or aggravated. And sometimes it needs extra hydration (this week!) which is when I bring out the big guns (Weleda Skin Food).
Fall/Early Winter Skincare Routine
My Evening Skincare Routine:
- Wash face with Elemis Cleanser.
- If my skin is extra dirty / I wore makeup that day I will do a double cleanse and use an oil cleanser (love this one from Tata Harper) BEFORE the Elemis.
- Then I will use my new Skinceuticals serum. It’s pretty intense and so I haven’t been using it every single day – I’ve been aiming for every other night.
- I let that soak in and then apply a thick layer of Dr. Bader’s cream (the BEST anti-aging cream I’ve ever tried, I was trying another brand and noticed a really big difference in my skin when I wasn’t using this.)
- If my skin is dry I will pat on face oil over my moisturizer. There are so many good face oils but I really love Everyday Oil. If I have time I will do a 5 minute facial massage using my favorite gadget.
- Lastly I will use my favorite eye serum (the ceramic applicator irons out puffiness and fine lines!) and sometimes neck cream if I’m being fancy. I forget about neck cream but I do notice a big difference when I use it regularly. Apply with upward strokes!
My Morning Skincare Routine:
Because my evening routine is pretty intense and you don’t get (double cleansing; the serum has retinol, etc) I don’t do much in the morning.
- I splash my face with cold water, pat that dry.
- Then I apply SK-II facial treatment essence, patting + pressing it into my skin until dry.
- And when it’s dry I apply more of my amazing Dr. Bader.
- Sometimes I will do a face massage with oil over the Dr. Bader. Just depends on my morning!
Favorite lip mask before bed.
Additional exfoliation. I love this face scrub. I am exfoliating a lot less than usual as my new serum has retinol in it but if I need more I will do the scrub, or use Clark’s Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream (instead of Dr. Bader) before bed. It leaves skin so glowy! The Herbivore Prism Serum is a great Vitamin C serum that I was using before I got the Skinceuticals one. Or I would use P50 (a favorite, but definitely can’t use it while I’m using retinol).
My Wrinkle Reducer. Once my skin fully adjusts to the retinol I plan on using my beloved Kiehl’s treatment again. This stuff is the BEST and makes such a visible difference. (I wrote more about it here!)
Additional moisture. My skin has been freaking out with sudden cold (and heat) in my apartment. My two favorites are May Lindstrom’s Blue Cocoon and Weleda Skin Food. Blue Cocoon is basically an oil balm with tons of soothing ingredients (great for redness, etc) and Weleda Skin Food is amazing for when your face feels like it’s peeling off (me right now). It’s so hydrating and is basically like the natural, $12 La Mer. Yesterday my skin was so dry so I used my Clarisonic Face Massager to massage in the Blue Cocoon, waited a bit, and applied Skin Food over that. All of the moisture.
Masks. I do a ton of masks. There are about a million mask reviews on my site, I alternate based on what my skin needs but try to do a mask every other day or so. Right now I would say that the masks I use the most are Clark’s Botanicals Instant Radiance and Deep Moisture masks, Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask, and Tata Harper’s Resurfacing Mask.
PS – The correct order to apply your skincare products!