A few weeks ago, my friend Molly invited me over to her house to cook dinner together. She has the most amazing recipe for watermelon poke bowl (prepared as you would see tuna prepared) and it was pretty easy to throw together… I asked her for the recipe and she obliged, and now I am sharing it here with you as it is AMAZING and I can’t stop making it!!!! I have now made three batches and can officially tell you, I am obsessed. It’s fresh, delicious, and such a fun thing to make when your body is craving vegetables but you don’t want to make (yet another) salad.
Watermelon Poke Bowl recipe
for the “tuna”:
- 2 cups watermelon (cut it into smaller pieces)
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce or Tamari)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
For the bowl:
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked black rice
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- Mixed greens
- Pickled ginger
- Feta Cheese
Cashew Sriracha Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoons Red Clay Hot Sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the cashew hot sauce by pureeing all ingredients in the blender until smooth and creamy.
Let the watermelon marinate in the sesame soy mixture for a few hours (up to overnight).
Build the bowls by layering the mixed greens on the bottom. Top with rice, arrange the watermelon poke and veggies around the rice. Drizzle with the poke marinade. Top with cashew sauce and sprinkle with feta cheese.