Today on the podcast, we are talking about New Year’s resolutions (or intentions, or goals… whatever you’d like to call them!). If you tune in and listen to our conversation, you’ll see that Becca and I are both treading pretty carefully. Basically: neither of us want to wind up feeling disappointed, but we still want to have a good year… sooooo… we both have quite a few personal and professional things we want to accomplish. I am a big proponent of writing things down so that I can go back and reflect, so I’m sharing mine here today!
Goals for 2021
This year my goals are more personal than professional. I am in a season of life where I am really focused on my personal happiness and “deep cleaning my life,” if you will. Of course, professional success is important too and I gotta pay my bills ETC but right now, my biggest focus is on my personal life – getting really clear on who I am, what my priorities are, what actually matters, and what does not.
As I’ve talked about a little (we talk more about it in today’s podcast episode) I have been working with Jackie Loughlin (a somatic life + career coach) and these are some of the things we are working on. I am hoping she will come on the podcast at some point to talk more about the work she does, and it it feels dramatic to stay this but she has completely changed my life. My friend Liz works with her as well (that’s how I found her) and has a great Q&A post with her!
Along with these goals and with regard to priorities (my family being number one), I have some life news. Many of you have seen this coming. I will be moving to Charleston in April. I think (I hope) I’ve finally told everyone in my life that I need to tell before sharing with the Internet. This was a scary and also very emotional decision to make but I know it’s the right choice. I promise to share more soon but it’s happening! I am overwhelmed and it felt easier to just slide it into my 2021 post than make some grand announcement. So I found an apartment over the holidays and signed the lease this week. I am wildly excited but also deeply sad. More to come.
Personal Goals for 2021
- Listen to my intuition; but get better at discerning between anxiety and and intuition. This has been something I think about a lot and talk to Jackie about. Anxiety leaves us feeling stuck whereas intuition is that gut feeling you get and it’s empowering. But sometimes when I am stressed things get murky and I have a hard time telling the difference between the two.
- More separation between me the person and me on the Internet. I don’t mean this in terms of authenticity or being two different people, I mean that I need better boundaries and to not always be on my phone or take comments from strangers quite so seriously. It was really affecting me earlier this fall which was the impetus behind working with Jackie.
- More time to flow // less scheduling. I realize we’re in a pandemic so this has definitely been less of an issue this year (lol), but I am trying to better manage both my work projects and my calendar to make space.
- Getting clear on priorities: what is important and what is not. Lots of list making and journaling with this one!
- Dedicate a few hours every week to learning about something I’m curious about. (Masterclass, non-fiction).
- Take one full day off from Instagram every week. I’m thinking Sundays.
- Buy property (tail end!). I had originally thought next Fall but now that I’ve signed a one year lease I have more time/flexibility. I am a Libra and horribly indecisive, so a part of me is relieved and if for some reason I’m unhappy in Charleston I can always come back.
- Grow blog traffic 25%. In 2020, my blog received 6 million pageviews so that would be 7.5 million pageviews. Yikes. That is scary number to write down, but when I consider that in 2017 my blog traffic was around 1.1 million pageviews, and it’s grown a lot every year, it feels doable.
- Continue building long term relationships w/brand partners.
- More product collaborations. I really loved working with Amazon the Drop and then Nightire. Those were definite career highlights this year and I want to do more of that! I have something fun coming up with Amazon in March, and a fun home product collab coming next Fall.
- More personal posts here on the blog (at least one a month).
- Start thinking about what comes next. Do I write a book? Start a product-focused business? Another podcast? Something totally different? Right now I don’t have the bandwidth to add something else, but I think by 2022 I will be ready for a new venture.
Sorry if some of these are a little vague. It’s not intentional, I’m still figuring it out!
If you are comfortable sharing, I’d absolutely love to hear your goals for the year ahead!
photo by Clay Austin.