Today we are talking about STRESS. Stress is kind of just the worst, for so many reasons. I mean, being stressed sucks to begin with but it can manifest itself in a lot of different ways, affecting your mental health and your body (ugh!). Today, (in partnership with Sephora) we’re talking about how it can affect your skin… and what to do about it. Sephora actually has an entire section of the site dedicated to stressed out skin – highly recommend taking a peek!
I have said this before but I had a pretty stressful year. It was a good year, but I was stressed out. A lot. I personally find that when I’m stressed, my skin gets really dehydrated and dry.. way more than usual! I think it’s really important to take good care of yourself and when you feel stressed, notice it and take the proper measures BUT today I wanted to share three products that can make a big difference.
The effects of Stress on your Skin
The four main ways that stress can manifest itself on skin are dryness, redness, signs of aging, and clogged pores. As my skin is prone to dryness already (AND it’s winter), this is a true recipe for disaster. Dry skin + stress = flaking, redness, dehydration, and crepiness.
Lucky for us, Sephora has curated an assortment of skin care products focused on combating the effects of stress on skin. As I have dry skin, I’m going to show you three products I’ve been testing for about 6 weeks. I really love them and think you will too!
3 Ways to Fight Stressed Out Skin
Today I’m going to share three AMAZING products (all of which can be found at Sephora!). There’s the LANEIGE Hypoallergenic Cica Sleeping Mask which works while you sleep, the Dr. Dennis Gross Stress Rescue Serum with Niacinamide which works under your makeup and moisturizer, and (maybe my favorite, it’s hard to pick!) Tatcha’s The Serum Stick for on the go!
I started testing them in mid-December and have fallen in love with all three for different reasons! It’s funny how these products can work in two different ways. I personally find the act of applying my skincare routine to be relaxing in and of itself, but it goes deeper than that – these products all have incredible results and benefits.
Do I look stressed? I was trying! 😉
How to Soothe Stressed Out Skin
This mask fights the signs of stress (particularly with redness) while you sleep! The texture is almost fluffy – it isn’t heavy or greasy, but it provides tremendous hydration and is incredibly soothing.
- What it is: An overnight mask designed to deliver intense nourishment overnight, when skin loses moisture and oil, while Forest Yeast Cica works to support the skin’s natural barrier. Created with irritated, stressed-out skin in mind, the hypoallergenic formula is great for sensitive skin, providing a calming effect and reducing the look of facial redness.
- How I Use It: Apply after moisturizer, as the last step in your nighttime routine. I personally love using the Dr. Dennis Gross serum underneath for maximum benefits.
The second way to fight the signs of stress is with this serum from Dr. Dennis Gross. This serum is designed specifically to defend against the signs of aging (fine lines, etc). It is wonderful.
- What it is: A morning and evening serum that targets premature signs of aging. Dr. Gross added superfoods, adaptogens and niacinimide in this Super Serum to help your skin fight stress, restore radiance and support collagen levels when you are stressed.
- Niacinamide (also known as B3) helps the skin to retain moisture, improves the look of fine lines and wrinkles, and helps reduce the appearance of redness and breakouts.
- Goji is a superfood and adaptogen which helps with redness, brightening, and evening skin tone!
- Ashwagandha helps the skin adapt to stress, improves appearance of dark spots and fine lines.
- How I Use It: Before moisturizer (LOVE it under the Tatcha dewy skin cream), or even before the sleeping mask. I tend to use this before bedtime. After a long day I will double cleanse my skin, tone, apply this, and apply moisturizer. I also really like it underneath a sleeping mask like the Laneige one.
I love this magical little serum stick. I feel like I have tried a lot of these “sticks” and this is the best of all of them. It’s packed with all the good stuff (Japanese lemon balm, hyaluronic acid, squalane) to help hydrate and tackle dryness and dehydration, but still glides on (totally weightless and without any sort of greasy finish).
I take it with me EVERYWHERE. It’s such a miracle product. Of course you need to drink enough water and hydrate, but nothing fixes dry skin in a pinch better than this.
- What it is: This is a treatment stick that soothes and smooths dry, chapped skin as well as the look of fine lines and wrinkles, revitalizing stressed skin that looks tight, depleted, or dehydrated. It’s a weightless, emollient balm that glides on, for instant (but long-term) radiance.
- How I use it: On the go, before makeup, over makeup… basically all the time. I particularly love it for flying/travel which can be super dehydrating. And besides those times where you just need a boost of hydration, from a purely superficial standpoint, it’s also very pretty when you just want to add a little extra sheen to your high points (brow bone, temples, etc.)