Greetings from Turks & Caicos. I mentioned it earlier this week (and on the ‘gram) but I’m down here working on a little project with Jet Blue. I left Thurs AM and packed a LOT into the three days that I was in the office. All work, no play… now it’s time to play. On the day job front at BaubleBar, we had a lot of fun things going on… and on the blog I was up late every night finishing deadlines for the new site and doing a little party planning (I mean, I can’t not throw a party, right?) The exciting thing is that the site is pretty much done and will launch next Wednesday! Hooray. I can’t wait for you to see it. I’m so excited I could actually cry. Victoria and Lisa (my designer + developer) did the best job. Although I have to be honest… all week long I’ve been feeling a little bit nostalgic/sad about saying goodbye to Stripes & Sequins! But I digress… there’s lots of good reading for you this week… enjoy!
* The art of stillness. Because it is actually an art… being still, training your mind to take a break… it’s something I could really work on. After reading this article, I ordered this book. (Thanks to Felicia for sending it my way.)
* Also via my friend Felicia (she really just sends the best articles), a thoughtful piece on hate reading… we all do it from time to time and it’s really toxic. I thought this was candid, refreshing, and a good reminder to stay away from toxic people and resist the temptation. It’s also a great reminder on the friendship front… your true friends are the ones who want to see you succeed.
* Making resolutions? Read this. My friend Hallie sent it to me and I really love it. I’ve had it open all week and keep re-reading it. Even though I’m a few years out of my twenties, I thought it was still very relevant to my own life + goals. (And speaking of Hallie, she shared some big news this week.. I’m so excited for her!)
* On the shopping front, I bought a couple new things for my trip… this amazing SEA lace top and this little white skirt. As someone who usually just packs a million dresses/tunic coverups for vacation, I’ve switching things up a bit – getting really into separates. (I know… groundbreaking, right?) The skirt looks so cute with a silky tank tucked in and the top goes with everything I own (but I really love it with cutoffs and gold sandals.) I also got these (in white!)
* I really want to “do” my hair more often. It’s usually just down or in a ponytail. I loved this perfectly imperfect chignon…and it looks easy enough…. just six easy steps. Perfect for dirty hair days.
* Once upon a time, I always followed proper etiquette… this includes saying goodbye to the host of a party before leaving. Over the past year, I’ve found myself just slipping out of parties without saying goodbye. No one ever even notices (or remembers the next day) and I always send the host a nice text the day after. This piece is an excellent rationale behind the practice of “ghosting.” What do you think? Do you ghost?
* And for a little outfit inspiration! I loved this black & white look on Meghan (it made me long for a creamy coat – hers is perfection.)
* Anyone else obsessing over all of Topshop’s newness at Nordstrom? I have so many pretty things in my cart right now. There’s this longline sleeveless jacket (fairly certain this one’s going to sell out quickly – love the Helmut Lang vibe), this furry sweatshirt (beyond cozy), and this striped tunic (so good with leather legs.)
* On the home front, I loved this post from Cass. My apartment is on the girlier side (I have the same gold + white pillows as she does) but I love the idea of adding a few menswear accents to my apartment.
* “So…. what do you do?” Loved – and really related to – Molly’s post about the art of the elevator speech (especially as someone who’s definitely gone the more flippant route… having told people “I play on the Internet all day and take selfies.” It’s time get a little more serious and own it in 2015.)
So excited for your new site and have a great trip down in Mexico!
I always look forward to S&S’s Weekend Reading on Saturday mornings!! I guess this is my final one!! Four more sleeps til your new reveal!! So happy for you!! Enjoy the rest of your trip too!! 😉
I had found that book via Brain Pickings (a great newsletter on books) and it’s been in my cart for a while- time to press buy!
Have a good vacation- those views make me jealous, especially with the blistering cold we’re having in St. Louis.
Fabulous! I’m looking forward to The Stripe! Have so much fun and enjoy your weekend xo
I want to get that skirt now! Also loved the article about keeping a healthy mind.
I can’t wait to read the article from Hallie! And thank you so much for including me sweet girl – can’t wait to see The Stripe launch and toast you!! XO
I read all of these posts this week and they were all SO amazing. I don’t know what it was about blogging this week, but it has me feeling good 🙂 Hope you’re having a great time south of the border 🙂
Excited for new site 🙂 Wish I was in Turks & Caicos or just somewhere hot, tropical and with a beach!