Polka dots are my favorite pattern after stripes. They’re always in style, they’re never too much, but they’re still kind of fun! Adding a few polka dotted pieces to your wardrobe for Fall will lend a playful kick without being too trendy or over the top.
I bought this dress during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale and it’s one of my favorite things I bought. The pattern + style are both timeless, and it was under $100! It sold out immediately but it keeps coming back in stock (right now it’s back in several sizes!) This brand is one of my favorites for affordable but well-made, cute dresses (The dress in this blog post is also by this brand, it’s another favorite.) And while I have you, this dress is also a part of the sale and I think it’s very cute too!
Outfit Details: Bardot Dress (wearing a size small) // Palmgrens Bag (similar) // Nordstrom Sunglasses (similar) // Steve Madden Sandals // BaubleBar Earrings.
In the spirit of more polka dot fun, here are some more polka dot pieces I’m loving.
Clockwise from top left: Chiffon Wrap Blouse // Earrings // Ruched Dress (cuter in person) // Flats (only $29!) // Maxi Skirt // Pouch // Maje Dress (on sale!) // Scarf // Long Sleeve Dress (under $100!)
My Favorite Ways to Wear Polka Dots:
- For a more simple look, I’d wear jeans and a tee with either the pouch or the flats.
- One polka dot a piece at a time… unless you’re mixing the scale or colors intentionally (a larger polka dot pattern top could look really cute with the skirt, for example)
- I love polka dots with red. I’d wear red shoes with any of the dresses, or the wrap blouse + denim. I’m of course partial to my low red Manolo pumps but any red shoes will do nicely.
- For a fancy (but unexpected look) tuck a silk camisole (in white or a jewel tone hue) into the maxi skirt and pair with a simple pair of gold sandals like these or these.
- To keep things from looking too saccharine sweet or over the top girly, I don’t typically wear a polka dot piece with anything that has ruffles, bows, or pale pink.
Photography by Trent Bailey.
I’m not on the edge about the polka dot trend – it’s just not growing on me! The only time I’d see myself wearing polka dots is if I were dressing up as Minnie Mouse, haha. That said, the black dress looks SO cute on you, Grace! I wish I could pull it off myself. 🙂
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
LOL minnie mouse! To each their own! I think a smaller pattern helps! 😉
Polka dots are my favorite! Great tips for making them look chic. Love this dress on you too!