I love grilled cheese. Love it. On a cold day there is nothing better than a grilled cheese + a cup of really good tomato soup. I’ll take a basic American cheese grilled cheese. It’s even better with sliced tomato. But what I have been reaaaaaaallly into is Blue Apron’s more elevated take. It is the best. The key ingredient may surprise you: caramelized onions! Also, two different types of cheese. I’m going to share their recipe below but can’t recommend trying out Blue Apron enough – use my link to take $80 off across your first four boxes. (And if you make something from BA, tag me in your stories, I looove seeing what you make!)
Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
- 4 Slices Sourdough Pullman Bread
- 2 oz. Fontina Cheese
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 oz. White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsps Butter
- 2 Tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
Make the caramelized onions
- Halve, peel, and thinly slice the onion.
- In a nonstick pan, heat up your butter on medium-high.
- Once butter is melted, add the onion slices.
- Cook (stirring occasionally) for 8-10 minutes; onion will be light brown and softened.
- Add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce (be careful, it may splatter!).
- Cook for another 30 seconds or so until the onion is coated.
- Turn off heat, season onion with salt and pepper.
Make the sandwiches
- Grate both cheeses and mix them together in a bowl.
- Assemble your sandwiches… dividing the cheese and onions in half to make two sandwiches.
- Wipe out your pan and add a big drizzle of olive oil on medium.
- Add the sandwiches, cooking for 2-4 minutes per side until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a cutting board.
- Season with salt and carefully halve sandwiches on an angle.
Don’t forget, use my link to take $80 off across your first four boxes. Happy cooking!