I love grilled cheese. Love it. On a cold day there is nothing better than a grilled cheese sandwich + a cup of really good tomato soup. I’ll take a basic American cheese grilled cheese. It’s even better with sliced tomato. But what I have been reaaaaaaallly into is Blue Apron’s more elevated take. It is the best, and the whole thing can be made in under 25 minutes. The key ingredient may surprise you: caramelized onions! Also, two different types of cheese. I’m going to share their recipe below but can’t recommend trying out Blue Apron enough – use my link to take $80 off across your first four boxes. (And if you make something from BA, tag me in your stories, I looove seeing what you make!) I love love love Blue Apron. I saved the print recipe for this one as it’s become such a favorite.
Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 Slices of bread – I used Sourdough Pullman Bread
- 2 oz. Fontina Cheese (Gruyere cheese is also amazing)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 oz. White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsps Butter
- 2 Tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
Make the caramelized onions
- Halve, peel, and thinly slice the onion.
- In a large skillet (I like to use a non stick pan or cast iron skillet), heat up your butter on medium low heat.
- Once butter is melted, add the remaining onion slices.
- Cook (stirring occasionally) for 8-10 minutes; onion will be light brown and softened.
- Add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce (be careful, it may splatter!).
- Continue to cook for another 30 seconds or so until the onion is coated.
- Turn off heat, season onion with salt and pepper.
Make the sandwiches
- Grate both cheeses and mix them together in a bowl.
- Assemble your sandwiches… dividing the cheese and onions in half to make two sandwiches.
- Butter each side.
- Wipe out your pan and add a big drizzle of olive oil on medium.
- Add the sandwiches butter side down, cooking for 2-4 minutes per side until the cheese is melted, each side is crispy and a light golden brown.
- Transfer to a cutting board.
- Season with salt and carefully halve sandwiches on an angle.
Don’t forget, use my link to take $80 off across your first four boxes. Happy cooking!