Summer Style Muse: Marge Sherwood
The Talented Mr. Ripley will always be one of my favorite movies (I rewatched it again last week before leaving for Italy!). I could watch it again and again and again (I always find myself wishing it would end differently for Tom, it never does). But whenever I am thinking about my summer wardrobe I always seem to find myself coming back to Gwyneth Paltrow’s character, Marge Sherwood. Her wardrobe was just perfection. Classic and timeless, elegant and also easy. A forever favorite movie, a forever favorite style icon.
Today’s post is inspired by Marge’s style. Some pieces to help us get that effortlessly easy summer style. I know I’m inspired!
A few key takeaways for us to emulate when trying to steal Marge’s style.
- For lounging at home, classic menswear pajamas with a cozy cardigan on top.
- We rarely see her in dresses. She was much more into separates, yet her style is unabashedly feminine. I only included one dress in the entire roundup!
- Fitted tops paired with full skirts, bermuda shorts, or high-waisted tailored shorts.
- Classic espadrilles + straw bags.
- Her signature side part ponytail, often tied with a scarf.
- When it is time to get serious and try to find your missing husband, bring the drama: a great trench and big sunglasses.
- Tie-Up Bikini TopI LOVE this suit. The pattern, the cut, so perfect.Shop
- Tie-Up Bikini BottomsSuch a cute suit!Shop
- Tote Bagon saleThis classic Staud bag is gorgeous… and it’s currently 30% off!Shop
- Silk Scarfbeautiful print.Shop
- Puff Sleeve Topgreat fitI have this in white with a print and love it. The fit is so good!Shop
- Pleated Midi Skirtso affordableA great find! So many good prints.Shop
- Tie Front ShirtThe quintessential Marge Sherwood top.Shop
- Striped Midi SkirtA gorgeous cut, in the happiest hue.Shop
- Wedge Heel EspadrillesAlways a classic and I love this texture!Shop
- Twist Front Tankjust perfectThis is timeless and so easy. I ordered this.Shop
- Cotton Midi Skirton saleThierry Colson’s prints are divine and this is on sale for a great price!Shop
- Checkered SatchelI love the gingham lining!Shop
- Printed Silk ScarfTimeless and easy, love the neutrals here.Shop
- Linen Midi DressThe lone dress in this roundup… I LOVE the cut!Shop
- Canvas SneakersYou can’t go wrong with a classic Tretorn!Shop
- PatBO Bikini TopSuch a cute suit.Shop
- PatBO Bikini BottomsLove the retro fit!Shop
- Tailored Linen ShortsLove everything about these.Shop
- Cashmere Dusterunder $100.Marge frequently layered a big cardigan over her pajamas. Cozy + chic. This is Mongolian cashmere and a great price.Shop
- Gathered Topgreat priceSuch a great fitted top to pair with all of those fuller skirts!Shop
- Bermuda ShortsThe perfect pairing for all these tops!Shop
- Zimmermann Bikini TopLove these colors!Shop
- Zimmermann Bikini BottomsThis print is so fun.Shop
- Pleated ShortsA summer staple at a great price!Shop
- Trench CoatThat scene in the trench on the back of Tom’s vespa? This is perfect.Shop
- Hair ScarvesLove that these are part scrunchy, part scarf!Shop
- Cardigan SweaterAn affordable (Amazon!) take on Marge’s cardigan.Shop
- Denim Crop TopLove this cut!Shop
- Floral Blousejust beautifulI love the lace cut-outs here.Shop
- Eyelet TopSo easy and fun. I love the details here.Shop
- Rafia ToteUgh this Proenza tote is a good one and I haven’t seen anyone else carrying it.Shop
- Embroidered Blouseonly $79The perfect everyday white blouse. Breezy and fun!Shop
- EspadrillesI love a classic flat espadrille and these are just great!Shop
- Buttoned Midi SkirtSo cheerful and happy!Shop
- Floral Stripe Skirttarget find!Such a great skirt in a beautiful color!Shop
- Lemon Print SkirtSuch a happy print, I love lemons!Shop
- Cross Front TopI could see Marge styling this with her signature side part pony tail and a white skirt.Shop
- Embroidered TopMaybe a bit bohemian for our girl but with a fuller skirt or high waisted shorts…Shop
- Linen Resort ShirtPerfectly breezy. Love.Shop
Disclosure: If you buy something through my links, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. I only feature things I truly love here. Thanks for your support.
This was so fun!! I just watched this movie again recently and had the same thought about how timeless her style is. Thanks for this. So creative, and I’m picking up several pieces! Maybe you could do You’ve Got Mail at some point? Kathleen Kelly is another timeless fashion icon for me.
Love this post and this idea.
This post makes me so happy! So breezy, colorful, and effortless.
But I do not get the love for The Talented Mr. Ripley?! Have I just not see it recently enough? I feel like I was traumatized by it?! What am I missing? For those who love it, what do you love about it??
I 100% agree. This movie gives me the creeps, but maybe that is the point? I love the fashion though!
I think that’s the point! But — I like creepy movies… psychological thrillers and even horror films are my favorite. Definitely not for everyone though, I have a hard time finding friends to watch those with me 🙂
YESSSS. What an excellent idea for a post – love this!
Love this post, it was so fun. Would love to see more movies! One of my favorite movie wardrobes is Jennifer Aniston’s in The Break-up. Elegant and timeless.