Happy 2015, friends! I can’t believe how quickly this past year went by. So I thought I’d give you a little state of the union so to speak, today as I actually have quite a few things and updates I wanted to share with you.
First of all… I’m sorry for the lack of posts this week. I got home from Cape Cod and found myself unable to do much of anything, and so I didn’t do all that much aside from spending time with my friends from Ireland who are in town for the week. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic and whiny (sorry – I hate whiny bloggers so feel free to skip this paragraph), I think I’m pretty seriously burnt out from work/blog/personal matters. Life has been non-stop since early October and I needed to slow down and breathe a bit. So I’ve been spending quite a bit of time with the Florricks (still watching The Good Wife) and Tyrion, which has been very nice. I honestly can’t believe how much TV I’ve watched and if we’re being honest, I’m a little bit horrified by it. As a steady maker of lists, and a constant “do-er,” even when I’m having a quiet night in I’m usually at least working for an hour or two. I had a few days this week where I literally did nothing. I’m starting to feel a bit more like myself, but even after that, I’m still really tired. I’m going to take the rest of the week off from the blog, but I promise to be back with lots of fresh new content for you next week. (Please remind me of how I felt this time next year, when I am saying yes to all of the things and doing, doing, doing!) In reality, I’m probably flattering myself, thinking you are missing all of my posts but I know most of you (like me!) read 1,000 other blogs, so you probably haven’t even noticed. (But if I owe you an email, know that I’m very sorry. The overflowing inbox is killing me and I’m slowly working through it.)
Next up… remember this post? I’m excited to report back that we donated $1,000 to Megan’s medical bills. Hooray! (I say “we” because you helped to raise the money by shopping via the links in the post… I wouldn’t have been able to make such a large donation without you.) If you are able to and want to donate, you can do so here. And Megan will be back with another guest post next week. Hoorays all around.
Third: a kinda big announcement, which is a little bit bittersweet. Effective the middle of this month (when the site turns five!), Stripes & Sequins will be no more. Alright, alright, I’m being dramatic again. If you type in stripesandsequins.com, it will redirect you to the new site; and all of my previous posts will transfer over, but the site is getting a pretty major face lift (which I think you will really love) and a new name… The Stripe! The new name is for a few reasons, but mostly… when I started this blog, I never thought anyone would read it. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, I just liked cataloging the things I liked, and posting DIY projects for you. I didn’t read very many blogs but I did read Cupcakes & Cashmere, and naming the site after two of my favorite things felt like a good idea. On a whim, I picked the name Stripes & Sequins, not really realizing that my little blog could and would someday turn into an actual business. Years later, I don’t even really wear sequins very often and I’m thirty three years old… it was time for a change and a more “grown up” name. It was a huge decision for me, and I honestly can’t wait for the launch. I hope that you’ll love the new site as much as I do. More updates to come on that front! (Also, you can follow The Stripe on Instagram here if you’d like… I’ll be keeping my regular account too though.)
Lastly, I thought I’d share a few resolutions. I don’t usually make resolutions but thought I’d change that this year. I have five.
- Be more responsible with my finances. This is a continuation from last year, I guess. And saying “be more responsible” sounds so vague and hard to measure, but whatever. This past year I paid off all of my credit card debt, most of which I had been carrying around from my twenties (Credit cards are gross you guys.. don’t be like I was when I was younger – live within your means!!) It felt really, really good to do that. And then I started saving more. There is a number in my head that I want to see in my savings account, and I’m determined to get there. I’ll always be tempted by pretty shoes, and sometimes I’ll let myself splurge… but lately saving has felt a lot more exciting than spending.
- Take a big trip. So I’ll need to get permission from work for this one as I don’t have very much time off… but I want to go somewhere for at least ten, twelve day that I haven’t been to yet. Croatia + Istanbul are high on the list, but I’d also really love to go to Asia. I have a ridiculous amount of frequent flyer miles… it’s time to use ’em!
- Designate one night a week where I don’t do anything. Yes, you read that correctly. Nothing. Except maybe a yoga or meditation class. I find that most nights I am either out, or in but working on the blog… I need a little me-time. Blogging is not me-time. I love working on this site, but it is still work. I want to have one night a week where I just read a book with a mug of tea, watch a movie, or lay on the floor playing with the cat.
- Invest in my personal life. I know that I should be dating but dating in your thirties sort of sucks. It’s a whole lot easier to just hang out with my girlfriends or even by myself. (I can spend an entire weekend by myself doing things and not feel even a little bit sad about it… a fact that both excites and terrifies me.) I’ve met all of my previous boyfriends through friends… but now all of my friends (and most of their friends) are married. So yeah.. Tinder? Hinge? I don’t really know. I do know that I would really love to meet someone great this year, but I also know that I have to put myself out there a little more if I want that to happen. Deep breaths. My blood pressure rose just writing that. Don’t expect to hear much more on that… I’ve learned the hard way to keep my personal life to myself… the next guy you hear about in these parts will have to be THE guy. #terrified.
- Anddd… one silly one. Take better care of my eyebrows. I feel a little bit ridiculous writing it, but it’s an actual goal that I have. I grew my brows out this year but they are a little out of control. I need to be better about tweezing them and filling them in every day. It makes such a difference.
Whew. If you made it to the end, thanks for reading this long post! See you next week!