Happy 2019! Today we are going to talk about setting intentions for the New Year but first wanted to share two quick things!!! First – the podcast is back! We have a new episode now in iTunes or wherever you listen to podcasts. Becca and I talk about what we’ve been up to the past 6 weeks, our favorite + least favorite books of 2018, what’s in store for 2019, and more!!! (Also, make sure you pick up Little White Lies which is this month’s book pick… it’s a really good one!)
The other thing is Youtube! One of my goals this year is to film a video a week and I just posted a new video with my big night makeup routine (I filmed myself getting ready for NYE). So check it out, but also would love for you to subscribe to my channel if you’re into Youtube!
Setting New Year Intentions
Today I am going to share my own New Year’s intentions and also talk about my process for setting intentions for the New Year. Everyone does it differently but this is my process and how I like to do it. As we enter the New Year, I think it’s so important to set goals, intentions, New Year Resolutions… whatever you want to call them! You don’t have to share them with anyone, you don’t even have to write them down, but I think it’s incredibly healthy to use the end of the year to take stock of what you’ve achieved and what you want to do with your next 365 days.
Start by Listing Your Intentions
This is the first step. Go somewhere quiet where you can really think. I like to sit down and think and put actual pen to paper. But you could very well use a google doc – it’s finding a thing that works best for you! Think about your future and what you want your life to look like a month from now, 6 months from now, a year from now, and even longer term.
Goal & Intention Categories
I like to break down my intentions and goals into different categories. I think about four buckets: personal growth, professional growth, physical fitness, and then just those random things that I want to do/achieve that year.
Longer Term Goals vs Short Term Goals
From there I also like to think about short term vs. longer term intentions. The short term goals should ideally help you get closer to the long term intentions… I find it’s helpful to start with long term and then think about the short term things you can do now/this month to help you get there! So with my own intentions below, (except the random stuff) I started with the big picture and went from there.
My List of New Year Intentions
long term: More balance, more creativity. Live a big, exciting life, never feel bored or stagnant, but also make time to chill. Nurture my creativity.
- Be better about having time just for me. I’m definitely an introvert. Being an introvert doesn’t mean you’re shy (I wouldn’t call myself shy), it just means you do your recharging solo. I feel my best when I have two nights a week where I stay in and just chill by myself – write, take baths, do face masks and self care, watch a movie or TV. Even when I just end up working, I still find my nights in to be so restorative.
- Organize my kitchen cabinets. Oh my god you guys – they are a disaster. I started working on this but need to figure out better ways to maximize my limited cabinet space, and invest in some nice glass containers for flour/cereal/sugar/etc. I keep saying I’m going to do this and then I forget!
- Take a painting class.
- Go to at least one new art opening/exhibit per month.
- Write more. Not just for the blog or for anyone/anything besides me, just sit down and write a few times a year.
- Share more personal posts here.
- Invest more time in learning email marketing. Maybe take a class!
- Up my photography game. I am not a great photographer and outsource most of that, but I’d like to get better.
- Continue to grow the blog. On average my blog traffic increases about 25% a year and I would like that growth to continue. The blog will always be my #1 priority.
- Grow the podcast. This is a scary number but I will put this out into the universe. Becca + I want our average downloads/episode to quintuple. Right now the podcast gets about 5k downloads per episode and I want to get that number closer to 25k. This number is scary but attainable; in the digital space podcasts are the biggest area for growth right now and I really think that we are onto something with it – I’m so proud of what we’ve done so far! If we’re able to grow it we will be able to monetize it in a more real way, explore doing live episodes, and maybe start doing more than one episode a week. Right now it’s just hobby status… I’d love to make it bigger.
- Post at least one Youtube video per week for the next 6 months. Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing with Youtube but I really enjoy the challenge of making videos and everyone says that the key to growing there is consistent posting, so I’m going to give it a try!!!
- Build out the private Facebook group. I’m less concerned about growing the actual membership numbers there, and more into thinking about what we can do to make it better. I’m working on a wellness challenge for that space (kicking off next week), I want to do more reader meet-ups, and do more fun things there (pass more books along and so on and so forth)
- Don’t stress out so much about Instagram and getting back to having fun with it. I love Instagram for what it is – but a lot of the fun of Instagram has gone away as I think about beating different algorithms and doing this and that to get your #s and engagement up. I want to get back to just sharing things that make me happy and not care as much about the numbers.
Physical Fitness/Health Intentions
Get into my best shape ever. Duhhh.
- Cook more. This month I want to really cut back on eating out and takeout.
- Dry-ish January. I have three big parties this month (the 40th birthday party invites have really started to roll in this year!) that I’ll let myself have a few drinks at each of those but otherwise, no booze.
- Refocus on yoga. Yoga still = life for me but the holiday season was so busy that I was lucky to go 3x a week. I want to get back to going at least 5 days a week.
- Work on my posture. I am such a slouch. Yoga helps but I actually just ordered this trainer for when I’m at my desk all day. Has anyone tried it? I’ve heard really good things!
- Go on two yoga retreats this year (I’ve actually already booked them both, YAY)
- Explore getting a personal trainer again. I hate lifting weights but it’s so effective and I do so much better when I have someone keeping me accountable. I have to go through my budget to maybe cut some things and think about what I can afford but I’d love to get a trainer a few days a week to help me tone up and get stronger so that I’m better at yoga.
- Walk/move more. My step count was really low in December. That happens when you wake up, are at your desk all day, and don’t leave the house which is something I make a habit of doing when it’s cold out. I want to make sure I get out for at least one walk every day.
Random Things I Want to Do
- Go to Portugal and maybe one other country I haven’t been yet.
- Really think about writing a book. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but I don’t even know where to start, or what I’d write about. Not another blogger coffee table book. Maybe something business-y or even fiction! Or some sort of memoir with all my weird stories from living in New York for twelve years. There are so many!
- Read at least 50 books this year. I read 82 books last year, so that should be easy BUT I am also a lot busier now than I was last year.
- Take more baths. I mean duh, my bathtub is my happy place.
- Shave Tyrion into a lion. Just kidding, that one was to make sure you’re still paying attention!
Whew – there we go! What about you? If you’re brave enough to share I would love to hear what you want to accomplish this year!!!
Photography by Lydia Hudgens.