This year, I read 87 books. Last year it was 80, the year before (pandemic) it was 96, and the year before that it was 83. I never set reading goals but it’s always interesting to see how the year shakes out. I wasn’t sure if I would net out higher or lower than last year. This year had its stressors (the process of buying my house was very stressy, I escaped into my thrillers!) My reading patterns were ultimately pretty similar to last year. Lots of thrillers and mysteries, per ush. Maybe a little less romance as I am no longer doing the podcast and that was Becca’s genre.
The books I enjoyed the most were of the more literary nature. If I had to pick a favorite book from the whole year it would be Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Anthony Doerr. I still think about it – a masterpiece! How many books did you read last year? And what was your favorite?
PS – If you want longer reviews of any of these books, just search The Library. They’re also each reviewed in my monthly reading lists. And if you are looking to read more this year, read this post: How to Read More Books.
PPS – A reminder that this is all subjective. There were books considered great works that I just didn’t enjoy. I am not a literary critic, just a person who likes to read and share my opinions.
PPPS – Check out everything I read in 2021!
Everything I Read in 2022
My Favorite Non-Fiction from This Year.
As with last year, I chose not to rank these – it’s impossible to rank them, they were all really enjoyable!
- Atomic Habits, by James Clear
- Taste, by Stanley Tucci
- Token Black Girl by Danielle Prescod
- Dress Code, by Véronique Hyland
- Liking Myself Back, by Jacey Duprie
- Going There, by Katie Couric
- Capote’s Women, by Laurence Leamer
- Mean Baby, by Selma Blair
- Tippi, by Tippi Hedren
- Anna, by Amy Odell
- Burn Rate by Andy Dunn
- Shit, Actually, by Lindy West
My Favorite Thrillers and Suspense from This Year.
- Notes on an Execution, by Danya Kukafka
- The Maid, by Nita Prose
- All These Dangerous Things, by Stacy Willingham
- Hidden Pictures, by Jason Rekulak
- All Her Little Secrets, by Wanda M. Morris
- The Good Sister, by Sally Hepworth
- The Lies I Tell, by Julie Clark
- Things We Do In The Dark, by Jennifer Hillier
- The Cage, by Bonnie Kistler
- A Flicker in the Dark, by Stacy Willingham
- When We Were Bright and Beautiful, by Jillian Medoff
- Stone Cold Fox, by Rachel Koller Croft
- The Counselors, by Jessica Goodman
- She Regrets Nothing, by Andrea Dunlop
- The Prisoner, by B.A. Parris
- Nothing More to Tell, by Karen M. McManus
- Can’t Look Away, by Carola T. Lovering
- Beautiful Little Fools, by Jillian Cantor
- The Younger Wife, by Sally Hepworth
- In My Dreams, I Hold a Knife, by Ashley Winstead
- Stay Awake, by Megan Goldin
- The It Girl by Ruth Ware
- Wrong Place, Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister
- Run, Rose, Run by James Patterson and Dolly Parton
- The Lion’s Den, by Katherine St John
- The Paris Apartment, by Lucy Foley
- You’re Invited, by Amanda Jayatissa
- Dear Child, by Romy Hausmann
- Like a Sister, by Kellye Garrett
- The Soulmate, by Sally Hepworth
- Everything We Didn’t Say, by Nicole Baart
- Reckless Girls, by Rachel Hawkins
- The Last Housewife, by Ashley Winstead
- First Born, by Will Dean
- The Love of my Life, by Rosie Walsh
- The Club, by Ellery Lloyd
- The Other Black Girl, by Zakiya Dalila Harris
- When She Returned, by Lucinda Berry
- Beware That Girl by Teresa Toten
- Good Rich People, by Eliza Jane Brazier
- The Dilemma, by B.A. Paris
My Favorite Light Reads from This Year.
This also includes YA!
- Lessons in Chemistry, by Bonnie Garmus
- Book Lovers, by Emily Henry
- Olga Dies Dreaming, by Xochitl Gonzalez
- Gilt, by Jamie Brenner
- Meant to Be, by Emily Giffin
- Silver Girl, by Elin Hilderbrand
- Anon, Pls. by DeuxMoi and Jessica Goodman
- Rivals, by Katharine McGee
- Counterfeit, by Kirsten Chen
- Sister Stardust, by Jane Green
- Cover Story, by Susan Rigetti
- Castles in Their Bones, by Laura Sebastian
- Meant to Be Mine, Hannah Orenstein
- City of Likes, by Jenny Mollen
- The Lifestyle, by Taylor Hahn
- Funny You Should Ask by Elissa Sussman
My Favorite More Serious Fiction from This Year.
This includes Historical Fiction as I didn’t know where to put those!
- Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Anthony Doerr
- Black Cake, by Charmaine Wilkerson
- Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin
- The Rabbit Hutch, by Tess Gunty
- The Dutch House, by Ann Patchett
- Violeta, by Isabel Allende
- Tell Me How to Be, by Neel Patel
- Mad Honey, by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan
- A Hundred Summers, by Beatriz Williams
- The School for Good Mothers, by Jessamine Chan
- The Christie Affair, by Nina de Gramont
- All This Could Be Different, by Sarah Thankam Matthews
- Aesthetica, by Allie Rowbottom
- NSFW by Isabel Kaplan
- A Visit From the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan
- Mouth to Mouth, by Antoine Wilson
- The Birdcatcher, by Gayl Jones
- A Very Nice Girl, by Imogen Cripp
TELL ME YOUR FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR IN THE COMMENTS!