At a blogger dinner this past New York Fashion Week, Erica of Honestly WTF showed up, rocking some amazingly cool fishtail earrings. They were Elizabeth Cole (similar to these,) and the entire table of blogger/fashionista-types were immediately abuzz. This week, I paid a trip to New York Beads (on 6th Avenue between 38th and 39th,) and noticed that they sold the same fishtail chain that Erica’s earrings were made from. The wheels started turning immediately. I crafted up the below earrings in about twenty minutes… total cost of materials was around $12.00.
5. Twist two wires together to lock all three beads in. Cut of an additional piece of wire, and place it behind your cluster of beads.
6. String on one small bead to each side of the new piece of wire. Take all of the wires (there should be four ends between the original wire and the new wire. Twist them together once and then thread two strands through the bottom of the piece of fishtail chain.
7. Thread a piece of chain on to one of the wires.
8. Begin wrapping the chain around the end of the fishtail chain, covering the wires.
9. Wrap the rest of the chain around the base of the beads and fishtail chain. Take the last of the wire, knot together, and cut the ends. Cover the knot with chain.
10. Finish by securing an ear wire to the top of the fishtail chain.
Repeat once more, and you have a fabulous new pair of earrings. (I love mine… have been wearing all weekend!)