At a blogger dinner this past New York Fashion Week, Erica of Honestly WTF showed up, rocking some amazingly cool fishtail earrings. They were Elizabeth Cole (similar to these,) and the entire table of blogger/fashionista-types were immediately abuzz. This week, I paid a trip to New York Beads (on 6th Avenue between 38th and 39th,) and noticed that they sold the same fishtail chain that Erica’s earrings were made from. The wheels started turning immediately. I crafted up the below earrings in about twenty minutes… total cost of materials was around $12.00.
Fine Silver Chain
Small & Large Swarovski Crystal Beads
5. Twist two wires together to lock all three beads in. Cut of an additional piece of wire, and place it behind your cluster of beads.
6. String on one small bead to each side of the new piece of wire. Take all of the wires (there should be four ends between the original wire and the new wire. Twist them together once and then thread two strands through the bottom of the piece of fishtail chain.
7. Thread a piece of chain on to one of the wires.
8. Begin wrapping the chain around the end of the fishtail chain, covering the wires.
9. Wrap the rest of the chain around the base of the beads and fishtail chain. Take the last of the wire, knot together, and cut the ends. Cover the knot with chain.
10. Finish by securing an ear wire to the top of the fishtail chain.
Repeat once more, and you have a fabulous new pair of earrings. (I love mine… have been wearing all weekend!)
where did you buy the fishbone chain?
Hi there! I bought my chain at New York Beads, in Manhattan. You could go there… or if you are not in NYC, this website also sells it: http://www.ohiobeads.com/catalog/silverplated-chain-fancy-textured-fishbone-chain-chain-foot-p-1628.html
Lastly, Etsy is an amazing resource! Hope that this is all helpful!!!
loved the earrings
where did you purchase the fish tail chain>
Oooh i need tt chain!!
Very nice, love the fishtail chain! Nice & easy project that I’m looking forward to making!
I would love making exactly one like this pair of earrings, but i rather follow a video tutorials that”ll be much easier for me to do it correctly….
Totally LOVE these earrings but hugely disappointed. The PDF tutorial was only 5 out of the 11 pages !!
I only have a phone to download to and all these extra pages take up space I don’t have spare. PLEASE make it so we can just download the tut. and not the other stuff added on. Then you would rate 10/10 in my opinion
what is the things sticking out on each side of the chain.
read it again-missed that part
A great project for IT as it reflects the fishbone diagram used in projects.