I’ve long been a huge admirer of Frieda & Nelly’s work, and when I saw these tassel earrings, I knew I had to try my hand at making a pair! Making your own tassels requires a little bit of patience at first, but once you get it, you get it. I made a few other tassel projects this summer (not for the blog) and love sitting down with one of my favorite TV shows and a pile of embroidery floss… it’s cathartic! These earrings are super easy to make and pack such a powerful statement. I love this blue + yellow version, too!
Next up? These pom pom earrings! It’s basically just the same process but with a chic little pom pom instead of a tassel!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Stripes & Sequins on Youtube… more projects to come!
- E6000 Glue
- Skein of embroidery floss
- Two Earring Backings
- Two Crystal Buttons with toggle backings.
- Sharp Scissors
In case you need a refresher from the video, here are the steps..
- Separate about 2 feet of embroidery floss and set aside.
- Take your whole skein of embroidery floss and cut at the end so that there are no folded edges.
- Repeat on the other side of the skein.
- Fold in half and cut, forming two bundles.
- Set one bundle aside.
- Take the two feet of floss you set aside earlier, and cut into four sections. Take one section and wrap it around the first bundle. Tie a knot.
- Fold the bundle in half over the knot, and take another piece of floss and knot underneath (about 1/4″ below the top.)
- Trim the ends to ensure a uniform finish.
- You’ve formed your first tassel, now repeat steps 6 -8 to make the second one.
- Tie your tassel on to the back of the button. Tie a double or triple knot and trim the ends.
- Carefully dip the earring backing into the glue, and press firmly to the top of the button.
- Repeat to make two earrings and allow to dry.
Top photo by Lydia Hudgens, video + other photos by Giafrese.
Love that you make your own jewelry! These are so fun and the perfect pop of color for fall!
Great job! I love the use of orange. I’ve seen some tassel earrings around lately – loving it.
I love tassel earrings in vibrant colors like these DIY version here: http://lilasirena.blogspot.mx/2014/05/diy-tassel-earrings.html
Love from Mexico,
Love those earrings! I’m not crafty, but I may need to give this a try!
Ellen | A Pop of Pink
Love these! Always finding cool new brands through your website 🙂
Love these! Defo want to give them a try!
I love this DIY so much I tried to create my own earrings…not the same, but highly inspired as you can see it : http://modeetmerveilles.blogspot.fr/2014/10/diy-les-boucles-doreille-pompons.html