I’m really excited as today is the launch of something I hope to do a lot more in these parts… DIY video! DIY was the heritage of this blog and I’ve really missed creating projects for you over here; alas I was in a bit of a creative rut this year… and wanted to find a more interesting way to show you how to do them. I hope you enjoy the video; and in the meantime… subscribe to my Youtube Channel! Lots more exciting stuff to come.
Last winter, I had fallen in love with all the fur + faux fur clutches I saw all over the runways + in my favorite boutiques but couldn’t bring myself to buy one. I promised myself I’d make myself some sort version of it to carry at fashion week this coming September, and when I found this Old Navy clutch, I knew exactly what I was going to do. Note: the project level for this one is easy… anyone can make it, I promise!
Sidenote -the quality of the bag is so good I ended up buying it in brown as well to wear on it’s own.
- Old Navy Envelope Clutch
- 1/4 yard of Faux Fur Fabric. If you live in New York City, you can get the exact one I got at Mood Fabrics (so obsessed with it!), otherwise I thought this one looked a lot like what I used.
- Sharp Scissors
- Fray Check
- Fabric Glue (this won’t be going in the was so tacky glue is fine, too.
- A Heavy Book
In case you need a refresher from the video, here are the steps..
- Lay the fake fur face down.
- Lay bag flat over fur.
- Using your marker, carefully trace the outline of bag on fur.
- Carefully cut the fur out. Take your time to make sure you get a nice, smooth edge.
- Apply Fray Check to the edges of the fur to prevent fraying (this step is crucial!!!0
- Apply a generous layer of glue to the back faux fur and carefully lay the bag down over the fur.
- Place a heavy book on top to help it set.
- Allow to dry.
Video + Photos by Giafrese.