We talk a lot about trends over here, but I thought today we’d discuss the classics. Pieces that you buy now, and wear until they fall apart. You might notice there isn’t a single handbag here. I chose not to include bags this go around, simply because I don’t see a handbag as something seasonal… buy the bag you love and wear it year round.
1. A classic trenchcoat. (Get one in a shorter length to avoid looking like a detective.) I bought my trenchcoat three years ago with a tax refund. It is Burberry, and at the time, I felt incredibly frivolous purchasing it. But you know what? I wear it constantly… April thru October. Personally I’d rather spend a lot on one coat that I’ll wear for ten, fifteen years than spend a little bit on a new coat every Spring. It’s a classic for a reason. It can be hard to find a great trench on a budget, but I happen to really love this one by Ivanka Trump (so strange)
2. A great pair of white jeans. No zippers, no embellishment, just a great, basic pair. Mine (by Paige) are something I wear at least once a week. I personally like a skinny leg, but it’s really up to you. If you like a straighter cut, try these. And these are a great budget-friendly option.
4. A navy blazer. Mine came from J.Crew (three or four years ago) and I still wear it all the time. This is great because you can layer it over absolutely everything when you want to feel a little bit more polished. For a more rumpled look, roll up the sleeves.
5. Chic, flat sandals. Mine came from the Poet Sandal Maker in Greece (the style is The Jackie O – I bought them on vacation for myself + my sisters), but then I spotted this pair by Joie (via Taylor) and they’re a dead ringer for my beloved Greek pair. I got mine four years ago and will wear until the leather detaches from the sandal… they are truly perfect.
6. A chunky chain link necklace. I wear this silver one all the time. It layers well, or makes a statement on its own. There are days where I just don’t feel like putting on jewelry, and when that happens I throw this one on. If you are more into gold, try this, this, or this budget-friendly version. I also love this sparkly one and this rose gold rendition.
7. A white blouse with a great drape. Equipment makes the best silk button downs… this being amongst my favorite. I also love Madewell’s ex-boyfriend shirts, or this blouse (from TopShop) for a more feminine look.
8. A perfectly deconstructed tee. You know, the one you reach for over and over again because it’s sooo soft and pairs with everything. I love Madewell’s linen v-necks for this reason. They are just rumpled enough, super cozy, but don’t lose their shape.
10. Boyfriend denim. This trend is not going to go away. If it does, it will likely come back. This pair, from Current/Elliott is pretty perfect. The wash is just right, and in my opinion, Current/Elliot jeans are some of the best-fitting jeans out there. For a more wallet-friendly version, I love this distressed pair.