Today we are switching gears a littttle bit. Yesterday was all about healthy changes… today is about indulging a bit. I’m a big believer in that life is meant to be lived, and while I am healthy 90% of the time, I do love to bake. And this chocolate upside down cake is one of my favorites. My grandma made it for my mom, my mom made it for my sisters and I, and who knows… maybe I will make it for my children someday.
In the meantime, I bring it to friends’ houses when they cook a big brunch. It is SO good and one of my favorite desserts of all time. Be forewarned, it isn’t the prettiest dessert but it is a) easy to make and b) completely, utterly, delicious!!! Every time I make it, friends end up going back for seconds and even thirds.
- 8″ square or round pan
- waxed or parchment paper
- one cup chocolate chips
- one cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk or light cream
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening (or butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Line an 8″ square or round pan with waxed (or greased parchment* paper)
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in a double boiler or the microwave. Beat inc onfectionerss sugar and 1/3 cup evaporated milk.
- Pour chocolate mixture into pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter/shortening, vanilla, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add one egg and beat.
- Slowly blend flour mixture into butter/sugar mixture.. alternate adding the milk and the flour mix until creamy.
- Pour batter over chocolate mixture
ZBake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Let stand in pan for 5 minutes and then invert. Remove waxed paper immediately (using spatula to help chocolate off of paper; spreading over cake!)
* I freaked out as I forgot to buy waxed paper. My mom told me I could use parchment paper, greased with butter, and it worked just fine!!!