Hi guys, Kelly here! I recently posted an Instagram of one of my favorite breakfasts, and had SO many inquiries about how to make it. It’s super healthy, easy, and customizable. Grace & I thought it would be fun to include my favorite recipe here for you!
If you haven’t heard of them, overnight oats are basically a cold version of oatmeal, made in ~5 minutes at night, and then left, covered, in your refrigerator overnight for breakfast the next day. The time in the fridge allows the oats to absorb some of the liquid, and if you make them with chia seeds like I do, it gives the chia some time to thicken up.
I like to combine all my ingredients directly into a mason jar and then stir inside of the jar (mostly because it gives me one less dish to clean up!), but you can do it in a bowl just the same and then layer the ingredients like a parfait with berries, almond or peanut butter, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc. The opportunities and flavor combinations are endless. I’m a REALLY big coconut fan, so I use coconut milk and shredded coconut and then just toss in whatever berries I have on hand, but that’s totally not necessary. You could easily layer & make your own mixes with some of the below ideas:
– Bananas, chia seeds, and peanut butter
– Blueberries, hemp seeds, and almond butter
– Apple slices and extra cinnamon
– Strawberry slices and candied pecans
The possibilities are endless… you can have a lot of fun with this.
OVERNIGHT OATS BASE RECIPE
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats**
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt*
- 2/3 cup milk of your choice (I use unsweetened vanilla coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- optional: 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- optional: berries, nuts, or nut butters
- Combine first 6-7 ingredients + stir.
- Cover with a lid (or saran wrap) and refrigerate overnight.
- Layer with berries, nuts & nut butters as you like!
* To make it vegan: substitute cultured coconut milk or almond milk for greek yogurt.
** To make it gluten-free: buy gluten-free steel cut oats.
Kitchen details: Sur la Table copper measuring cups // Pyrex liquid measuring cup // World Market measuring teaspoons // Ikea cutting board // Anthropologie dish towel // Copper Mini Colander // Soma Water Pitcher